Tai Chi and Travel stories

Personal stories about both learning and teaching Tai chi. It is about walking the path of self-development and finding my position in social and professional life. I have been travelling and living in many countries, speak 7 languages fluently. With the view from a cosmopolitan perspective, I have included my personal experiences in each culture.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Chen style for the health-compromised

There are many methods of teaching Tai CHi. Traditionally there are many teaching methods and these are very black and white. Just to mention how to memorize a form: My teachers have been traditionally taught how to observe their teacher, give up themselves and follow. It is by no means just monkey sees monkey does. After following my teacher for some time, I experienced somethng in my body had changed. Apart from the movements I also felt that I started to feel without seeing. My awareness increased, I sensed mistakes and could correct them nearly instantly. I sensed my center of gravity, whether the body is balanced or not, how rooted or uprooted I am, what application the movement is all about........I was able to listen into my own body.

When a newcomer comes to the class, h/she is urged to follow the group and do the form, right or wrong. The teacher emphasized that one does not see oneself. If we focus too much on what is wrong, it will result in unnecessary tension. The newcomer can copy the movements as well as s/he can; the more advanced will get different information for their level. Subconsciously the beginner will imbibe the advanced information as well. After the plenary session with the group, the large group is split up into smaller groups. The beginners or those who do not practise will always be taught a new movement without slowing down the more advanced.

A person with limitation and critical medical conditions is very often unable to lead a normal life. These people may need a special class and attention. It depends on the sensitivity of the teacher how much this group of students is prepared to learn the form or just to enjoy social interaction and some exercise.

Chen style is the oldest style and the origin of all other styles. Most Chen style forms are athletic, characterized by low stances, jumps, stomps, obvious martial movements, fast and slow intermixed. However, the main characteristic for Chen style is not the above mentioned outer appearance but sophisticated spiral force or reeling silk.

The reeling silk qi gong and short forms are an excellent way for the less athletic practitioner to obtain the very high health benefits. The muscles and tendons are stretched well by the joint rotation caused by spiral movements. Apart from this, the inner organs like the heart or intestines receive a gentle massage through the twisting and uncoiling movements. The body is squeezed like a sponge which results in better lymph drainage.

A good teacher who has a certain sensitivity for the students will be able to teach the students with physical limitations. It is important that the teacher works in cooperation with doctors and physical therapists. A medical training would be ideal but it is not really necessary.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home