Tai Chi and Travel stories

Personal stories about both learning and teaching Tai chi. It is about walking the path of self-development and finding my position in social and professional life. I have been travelling and living in many countries, speak 7 languages fluently. With the view from a cosmopolitan perspective, I have included my personal experiences in each culture.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Thought Is Just A Thought

Everybody of us knows that we need to cleanse our mind from all our thoughts and focus on what we are doing.

But how much of us are actually doing this all the time? We think of our business appointments, bills, family, planning the next day etc. However, there are a few little tricks to help us focus better.

Well, a thought is just a thought. We need to be gentle with our thoughts. When we notice they are wandering, just gently bring them back. To be more down-to-earth, we compare it with an autopilot adjusting the aeroplane when it gets off track.

My virtual Tai Chi friend TonyK from UK once told me that it was like watching a good movie, relaxed with a gentle focus rather than intensive concentration of threading a needle.

Another tip would be: engaging our brain with some of the Tai Chi principles for instance the head or back straight, hips relaxed, breathing etc. Studies also have shown that the brain goes catastrophic when it is not engaged with a task.

Different things work differently for different people. When I just keep being empty and enjoy what I'm doing, I can focus very well. Try it out and enjoy your practice. This can also be applied to other tasks or sports

Guided imagery has been one of the main tools for Tai Chi Chuan masters as well as for world class athletes. My favourite imagery is:"Walking along an empty beach, the colour and sound of the deep blue sea, the view and smell of the white sand, the mountains and forest in the background." My mind becomes tranquil nearly immediately.......

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thought I would pay you a virtual visit.

    I can always use another perspective. It is a great way to approach a question.

    qzen42
    http://www.zendinos.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Travel and Tai Chi stories said…

    thanks for your comment zendinos.You would make a wonderful tai chi practitioner. I read your blog too, refreshing stories

     

Post a Comment

<< Home