Tai Chi and Travel stories

Personal stories about both learning and teaching Tai chi. It is about walking the path of self-development and finding my position in social and professional life. I have been travelling and living in many countries, speak 7 languages fluently. With the view from a cosmopolitan perspective, I have included my personal experiences in each culture.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Should a teacher correct too much?

A modern teacher in the West usually adjust somebody's posture at will. A traditional teacher, however, gives very little corrections. What my teacher did to me was: He modelled my body like clay and I instantly felt that it was the right posture. Sometimes it can be somewhat painful, especially when it is a low posture.

I remember when my "dragon on the ground" Chen style was corrected, I felt some discomfort but my whole strength was in the lower body and there was a clear difference between heavy and light leg.

My teacher would look at me and test my posture. For Jin Kang Dao Dui(Buddha's Warrior Pounding Mortar) he said I would stamp too hard with downward force. "This is a kick to the ground and you should use the leg as a lead to discharge power." he said. He let me perform a normal kick with downward force and of course it did not work

"Observe me and you will see the mistakes yourself. If you don't see them, it makes no sense for me to correct." I had to learn how to feel the mistakes and correct them myself, because my teacher is not with me all the time.

He shows several martial arts applications to let me feel myself why my movement is wrong. This way it will be engraved in my mind. It would not be the case when he corrected me verbally and at will, critical and patronizing..........

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just out of curiosity, when you are shown an application of the form, is it executed in the same manner as the form? Meaning, can the application be performed with no variation to the way the form is practiced?

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Travel and Tai Chi stories said…

    The answer is"yes", it can be but doesn't need to be. One application has various possibilities.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most of the apps I've seen differ a bit from the execution of the form. This is especially the case when force is applied and the other person is not very cooperative. Just some minor differences I noted between the chen village material and that of the Hong Junsheng material.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Travel and Tai Chi stories said…

    People attack you and i hope we all are hard-wirded by our form training. We need to prepare for the unexpected.You're right but apps can vary as you said esp in sparring

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Travel and Tai Chi stories said…

    just to clarify, during form work I'm showed apps. very closely to the moves of the form. The purpose is not real app but the form to be better understood

     

Post a Comment

<< Home