Tai Chi and Travel stories

Personal stories about both learning and teaching Tai chi. It is about walking the path of self-development and finding my position in social and professional life. I have been travelling and living in many countries, speak 7 languages fluently. With the view from a cosmopolitan perspective, I have included my personal experiences in each culture.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Why?

Why does my back hurt? Very likely I have been leaning backwards, my lower back tensed up and carried my body weight instead of the legs. My mind should be the boss and tell my body to stand upright. When I relax and flex my hips, I would feel strength in the legs.

Why do they call it abdominal breathing? The chief breathing muscle is the diaphragm and abdominal muscles support it. So the belly will bulge forward when we breathe deeply.

The lattisimus dorsi(back muscle or lats) supports breathing out, it is also called the "cough muscle". The back hurts when you have a dry persisting cough.

Sometimes we can feel our teacher's back to get an idea of good breathing.
When we use all these muscles correctly and our posture is right, we will naturally use our legs to carry our weight

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home